Shortcut virus is the most common virus in USB flash drives like pen drives and SD cards. Many of us encounter shortcut virus on daily basis in pen drives of family and friends. It is a very annoying virus because if you click on any shortcut that has created by this virus a new shortcut is created in that directory and that loop continues as we try to access our flash drive content.
So, you may be wondering what is this shortcut virus, how does it spread through USB flash drives and how can we remove it from infected USB Flash drives.
What is Shortcut Virus?
Shortcut virus is a program which copies itself to USB Flash drives from the infected computer while copying folders from that computer. Once it infects USB flash drive it copies all your data and makes a shortcut to it in below directory. When we try to access our folders it multiplies itself and again creates installs malware and third-party software in USB Flash drive’s directory.
This virus hides your original files or folders in the same removable media and creates a shortcut with the same name. So, as we click on the shortcuts it allows it to run and multiply itself. This is a very annoying virus but it can be removed easily and recover your USB flash drive folders. We are sharing here some methods to remove shortcut virus from your computer and USB Flash Drive.
Remove Shortcut Virus from USB Flash Drive by Command Prompt
Removing shortcut virus by cmd is most easy and efficient method. Also, this method does not affect your existing files and you can recover your all data available on USB flash drive.
- Open the command prompt by typing cmd in run(Windows + R) menu.
- Select your drive by typing the drive letter with colon and press enter (Ex – e:).
- Now type attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:\*.* and press enter.
- Now type del autorun.infand press enter, this will delete the virus. If you are infected with other virus type change .inf extension to .ink or .exe.
Remove Shortcut Virus from USB Flash Drive by Software
There is third-party software is available to fix the shortcut virus issue. I will show you here two best tools to remove shortcut virus from your USB flash drive.
USB Fix is a free tool that will help you to fix your USB and remove shortcut virus and any other malware that your USB flash drive is infected with. Follow these steps to use USB Fix to remove the virus.
- Download USB Fix from FileHippo
- Install and open it.
- Click on the Research button after running UsbFix. This will start scanning your USB flash drive.
- Click on the Clean button after finishing the scan, it will clear virus that USB fix has found.
Shortcut Virus Remover
Shortcut Virus Remover is a tool that is specially built for this virus by NetParkBrothers. It removes shortcut viruses from your pen drive. It removes .vbs and .inf virus infected files and clear your shortcut virus and recover original file and folders from viruses. Also, it is just 1 MB app.
Using this app is very simple. Download and install Shortcut Virus Remover and open then select the drive you want remove shortcut virus from it. It was prompt you to give access tap yeas to all and you are good to go.
Download Shortcut Virus Remover
Remove Shortcut Virus from USB Flash Drive by Formatting
If none of the above method working for you or you don’t have anything important on your USB flash drive you can format it. Formatting flash drive will completely wipe out files and folders of USB flash drive so the virus is removed from Flash drive. However, keep in mind that your all files will be deleted so make sure you do not have anything important in it. Follow these steps to format USB Flash drive:
- Open FileExplorer and select your USB flash drive.
- Right Click on the drive and select format option.
- A format menu will now appear, uncheck quick format option and start format.
- You will be prompted when the format is completed.
Remove Shortcut Virus from Computer
All of the above methods will remove shortcut virus from your USB Flash drive but your flash drive can again be infected if it will be injected into virus infected computer. So, it is necessary to remove shortcut virus from your computer too.
To remove shortcut virus from any computer you will need to delete registry entry from these viruses. Follow these steps to remove shortcut virus from your PC.
- Open Windows Task Manager ( Ctrl + Shift + Esc ).
- Switch to processes tab and look for process.exe or any such process which looks fishy and kill them all.
- Press Windows + R, this will open Run menu type regedit in it.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run from the left menu.
- look for odwcamszas.exe value or any other value which looks like junk and delete it
- Reboot your computer save the changes.
How to be safe in future from the Shortcut virus?
Removing virus from your computer and flash drives does not mean that your devices will not ever be infected with the virus. You have to be always vigilant and precautions to save yourself from the virus. Viruses can delete, steal and modify your private data which can cost so much to you. So, it is always good to be prepared for the virus attacks. Follow these tips to be safe from virus.
- Update your virus database regularly.
- Enable auto update of your antivirus system.
- Install antimalware software like Malwarebytes.
- Don’t open any mail attachment from any suspicious sender.
- Always use adblocker on your PC.