If you are a developer or someone who likes to keep a watch on everything that is going on his PC then you must have observed software_reporter_tool.exe in the processes. Software Reporter Tool is something which is a part of the most famous web browser from Google the Google Chrome. Google Chrome is a web browser which is available for free and offers great reliability hence almost all the viewers on the net uses the Google’s free software for browsing the internet.
Software Reporter Tool is designed to removes any or all the software which causes problem with working of Google Chrome. Many times it may be a issue to you as it might be prompting you again and again which is not the nicest of thing to do from user experience point of view. Another set of reason can be high system load which it can cause while scanning the system, which can take up to 30% of CPU resources. Although Google mentions that it will only be scanning the folders which are related to Chrome but the scope is nowhere mentioned which means it can be a threat to privacy.
Although you cannot remove this software directly via the Control Panel but there are ways with which you can easily do the same. For the version 24.137.203 the executable file is found under the following path:
In order to block the software there are a few different measures which you may take, all of which are mentioned below:
- You can delete the whole folder which contain the Executable file or you can rename the executable file by changing .exe extension to .bak.
- Another option is to remove the permissions from the executable file so it is denied from access to any folder on your system.
- Right click on the SwReporter folder and select properties from the drop down menu.
- Click on the security tab and select advanced options on that page.
- Now open “disable Inheritance” and select “remove all inherited permissions from the object”.
- Now exit the dialogue boxes by Applying all the settings.
We do recommend you to use the first method as you can manually launch the program when you feel that Google Chrome is having problem in displaying the web page. Do let us know if you got any issues with the Software Reporter of Google. If yes do let us know about the same in the comment section below.